Saturday, October 5, 2019

The Martian by Andy Weir

The MartianThe Martian by Andy Weir
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I didn't expect this book to be so funny, and I especially loved how analytical Mark is in some moments, while in others he just throws caution to the wind and hopes for the best. It's like he can only take so much of the procedures and rules before he goes with his gut, which is a compelling contrast.

The audiobook for this is A+. I was stressed out the whole time I read this, but in the best sort of way.

I also really enjoyed how technical this sci-fi novel is, while still being charming and emotional. Honestly, I felt like I was right there with Mark, while he sorted through issues and made all his calculations. I even caught myself nodding along a few times like-- you're right, Mark. You've got this, Mark. But the reality is I was no better than a cheerleader.

The book made me feel like I understood his predicaments and how to resolve them, but on a highly technical level, I didn't. I can step back now and admit that, but in the moment, I was with Mark through all of his logic and math sessions to sort out his solutions. I think that is the true power of this book. It made me feel like I could be a botanical, engineering, martian, wizard, when the reality is that I absolutely cannot. However, during the 369 pages of this book, I absolutely could.

I think that's why people love this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment