Thursday, October 10, 2019

And I Darken by Kiersten White

And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)And I Darken by Kiersten White
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Okay. Wow. Let's talk about this unusual YA fantasy/historical retelling (based on Vlad the Impaler and the Ottoman Empire) and how obsessed I became with this toxic triangle of love and loyalty that wrecks so much havoc.

I was really into the fact that Lada (yes, the Vlad of this story is female!) is brutal, ugly, confident, and fierce. She finds strength in that, while her brother, Radu is soft, gorgeous, charming, and clever, and he finds strength in that. This novel does a great way of comparing and contrasting different kinds of ways characters can be strong and can care about each other, and it does it all through showing, instead of telling. Which is glorious.

I'm especially pleased about the theme of feminism that runs throughout, the really beautiful and fascinating depictions of Islam, as well as the internal conflicts of the LGBT characters. I didn't really expect any of that when I picked up this story, which makes it even better.

Book one was an action-packed, highly emotional journey. I don't even know what I hope happens in book two at this point, other than that it cures some of incessant ache inside my heart, though I suspect that won't occur as sacrifice seems to be a main theme for all three of the most important characters.

I listened to this on audiobook, and Fiona Hardingham does an excellent job of bringing this story to life. She has a very gentle accent that really appeals to me.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment