Tuesday, October 8, 2019

September (Calender Girl #9)

September (Calender Girl #9)September by Audrey Carlan
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

This book contains everything, including the kitchen sink, and I have to say it's not a great look. It's almost as if someone brainstormed a list of every ridiculous, dramatic, and over-the-top thing that could occur to create some tension, and then they tried to cram it all into one book. As a result, it came off as ridiculous and lacking in honesty in the storyline, rather than being helpful towards creating drama, suspense, and conflict in the story.

I feel exhausted after reading this one, and not in a good way. Plus, I'm not sure I'm a fan of how much the author uses trauma to advance her storyline, nor of how she handles the trauma after it is inflicted on characters. Also, the whole hitting you over the head with the lessons and points she is trying to make becomes tedious. I'm even tired of the super supportive behaviors of side characters, which at this point is starting to seem inauthentic and cloying. It's okay for one of your friends to say---woman, what in the hell are you doing?--rather than just running to the aid of the MC every 5 seconds. At this point, it feels like everyone is enabling her to continue to make poor choices on a massive scale, and I'm weary of it.

I thought about quitting the series here, but after reading 9 books, I really want to know how all of this chaos wraps up. And there are some things I still do like about the series, even if those are starting to fade into the background a bit. I guess that means I will finish the last 3 months, unless October starts out rough. If it does, I may just skip ahead to December.

Summer Morton is still doing an excellent job as the narrator.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment