Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Thoughtless (Thoughtless, #1)Thoughtless by S.C. Stephens
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Watching some of these characters, who were supposedly nice and decent people, behave so poorly and stupidly and unkindly sort of really pissed me off, and yet at the same time, I just couldn't look away from it.

The start of this book is really rocky and poorly written, so I almost DNF'd this several times in the beginning. There's tons of really poor writing behaviors like lots of tedious telling and backstory, introducing characters poorly and so many characters at once that it is impossible to keep anyone straight, etc. However, if you just hang in there for a bit, the writing becomes significantly better, and I think why I enjoyed this so much is that the writing is extremely emotional. This will put all your emotions through the wringer. Twice. In every chapter.

At the end of the day, if I knew these people in real life, I would think them very selfish and be pretty disappointed in them. But I don't, which means I could just enjoy the benefits of their indiscretions without having to feel too poorly about who they hurt in the process.



Effortless (Thoughtless, #2)Effortless by S.C. Stephens
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This was an exhausting read that went nowhere but in circles. It could have been about 1/4 this long. I almost quit the series here, because this book was largely pointless. However, I decided to continue on and give book 3 a try.

I really like the emotional storytelling. I just wish this had an actual plot or point.

Honestly, having finished the series, you could probably skip this book, go straight on to book 3 and be just fine. You won't miss that much.


Reckless (Thoughtless, #3)Reckless by S.C. Stephens
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was a major improvement over book 2 and probably the best of the 3 so far, though I'm glad it is the end of these two and their story, as I think the whole series was about 2 or 3 times as long as it really needed to be.

That being said, I'm absolutely picking up book 4, because GRIFFIN. Honestly, I wish every book in this series had been about a different set of characters. That would have been more interesting and made the series stronger, as well as helped develop side characters.


Untamed (Thoughtless, #4)Untamed by S.C. Stephens
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

OMG GRIFFIN. This book is by far the best in the series. It just has so much voice. I was obsessed. Now, I am extremely happy I got over my grumpiness near the start of the series and continued onward, or I would have never read this beauty.

For anyone who hasn't read the series, I'm totally onboard with you just reading book 4 as a stand alone. Technically, you shouldn't do that. There are things that it helps to know leading up to that point, but if you start the series and get sick of the 2Ks, then just skip to the end and read this one. It's fantastic.

I enjoyed watching the long spiral downward, and the way Griffin finally picked himself back up, got his shit together, and started to grow up.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment