Sunday, January 12, 2020

We Set the Dark on Fire by Tehlor Kay Mejia

We Set the Dark on Fire (We Set the Dark on Fire, #1)We Set the Dark on Fire by Tehlor Kay Mejia
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Freaking amazing. A totally unique and fascinating world, in which there still manages to be interesting political commentary that is currently highly relevant to our political climate.

I have started the New Year right by reading several YA novels with resistance themes this weekend (totally by accident) which is all sitting really well with me. If this is an end result of our currently difficult political climate—-that writers everywhere are using their art to tell beautiful stories that send strong messages to people about humanity and power dynamics, then at least one good thing has come out of all the mess. Because this is glorious. I can’t wait to get my hands on book 2, and I think more people need to get their hands on this book. I’m hoping it gives teens a lot to think about, in regards to what they believe in and care about, so that when they reach the age of majority and can vote, they’ll do better than my generation has been able to do. And be kinder to all people than my generation has been.

Clearly, I absolutely adored this, but I am now so tense and stressed out after reading it that I think I’m going to have to have my shoulders surgically removed from my ears.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment