Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of Orïsha, #1)

Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of Orïsha, #1)Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is still glorious. I'm just rereading in preparation for book two, which I'm really excited about. Since it's such a unique world and magic system, I wanted to make sure I remembered everything before moving forward.

The audiobook narration is fantastic and spot on. There's so much texture and variety in Bahni Turpin's voice, and she brings a lot of drama and emotion to the storytelling. I just love it.

PREVIOUS REVIEW:
This story slayed me in all the ways. It’s so compelling that I want to clutch it close, in case it would try to slip away from me. I just finished the novel, and I almost want to go back and start it all over again, right now, as I’m not ready to let go of this world.

I was so captivated by this YA West-African inspired fantasy novel that I couldn’t stop reading once I started, and this is not a small book. Despite that, I still read it straight through, and wow. I just have so many wild feels that I’m not even sure I know how to write this review, but I want to write it now, while the magic and heartache is still fresh in my mind.

Things I loved and/or cried over:

--The characters and all of their uniqueness and intricacies

--The storyline and fast-paced plot, despite the length of the novel

--The captivating world and fascinating setting

--The magic system is A+, and I can’t wait to learn more about it in future novels

--The cover of the book, which is just stunning. I’m honestly obsessed with it, and I don’t know how much of the time that I spent just looking at the cover while I was listening to the book.

---The audiobook narrator: Bahni Turpin, who brings such life to the words

--The author’s note at the end of the book, which made me cry twice in just a matter of minutes

-- The title and its meaning to the story. I could reread/replay that segment right at the end over and over and over again, because it’s so perfect and gorgeous

--The ending, which really delivers, in all kinds of emotional ways

--They way 4 POVs are handled so well, and with so much unique voice that I always knew whose part of the story I was on, even when we switched between characters

--The characters names, which felt so perfect for them

--The ferocious feline beasts that I sometimes want to snuggle

--The fact that this is a debut novel, and it’s so incredible (no offense to other authors, who have also had some amazing debuts, but wow!)

--The fact that this lived up to absolutely all of the hype and it’s so easy to adore this book

--And obviously the diversity. I’m feeling pretty cheated that this is the first Nigerian inspired fantasy novel I’ve ever read, and I hope I see many more in the future. In case it’s my fault that I’ve never read one before, I’m going to go out and research this topic as soon as I finish this review, to see if there are any others that I’ve missed.

As far as I’m concerned, this book is perfection. It’s what YA fantasy novels should be. Honestly, in my opinion, it’s what all fantasy novels should be, regardless of category. And there better be more of this world heading my way in the near future. Preferably lots more.

Book 114 read in 2018

Pages: 525

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment